Essential training to meet statutory requirements
Governing boards in maintained schools have a statutory duty under the Education (School Teachers’ Appraisal) (England) Regulations 2012 for headteacher appraisal.
This course aims to provide governors with advice and guidance about meeting their statutory role in reviewing the headteacher's performance,
deciding on timely pay awards and agreeing new objectives for the coming year.
By the end of the course it is anticipated that governors will:
• Know how to prepare for and conduct a performance management meeting
• Understand the respective roles and responsibilities of school improvement professionals and the appointed governors, for the headteacher’s
• Be able to make the link between the headteacher's performance objectives and the school's strategic plan
The statutory requirements as highlighted in the DfE's model policy are:
• The appraisal period will run for 12 months
• The headteacher will be appraised by the governing body, in respect of each appraisal period, supported by a suitably skilled and/or experienced
external adviser who has been appointed by the governing body for that purpose
The headteacher will receive as soon as practicable following the end of each appraisal period a written appraisal report, which will include:
• An assessment of his/her performance of his/her role and responsibilities against his/her objectives and the relevant standards
• An assessment of his/her professional development needs and identification of any action that should be taken to address them
• A recommendation on pay where that is relevant (for headteacher's this is required by 31 December)
• The headteacher’s objectives will be set by the governing body after consultation with the external adviser
• Objectives will be set before, or as soon as practicable after, the start of each appraisal period
This training will be delivered using Microsoft Teams.
Delegates' email addresses as registered on the portal will be provided to the trainer for the purpose of conducting this training only. Delegates should ensure that their work (not personal) email addresses are recorded - check and update as necessary through 'My Profile and Bookings/Change Contact Details'.
Joining Instructions: Full joining instructions, including links to access the training and MS Teams guidance, will be attached to your confirmation email as downloadable links. Please ensure that you read these prior to the course and keep them in a safe place.
Please check your spam/junk mail folders for expected emails not showing in your inbox, and take action to ensure these get delivered to your inbox in future. Please also ensure you block the time out in your calendar.